Governing bodies and proprietors should ensure that:
- written recruitment and selection policies and procedures are in place;
- they adhere to statutory responsibilities to check staff they take proportionate decisions on whether to ask for further checks;
- volunteers are appropriately supervised;
- at least one person on any appointment panel has undertaken safer recruitment training;
- procedures are in place to handle allegations against members of staff and volunteers; and
- procedures are in place to refer to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) where a person is dismissed/resigns due to risk/harm to a child.
From 1 September Safer Recruitment Training no longer needs to be delivered by an approved Safer Recruitment Trainer and as a minimum the training should cover the content of the new statutory guidance. Slough LSCB will be providing advice to schools about safer recruitment training and safeguarding training.